What causes Vestibular Disorders?
Vestibular disorders may be caused by dysfunction and/or damage to the inner ear, accidents resulting in neck involvement, age related changes or brain disorders. Some types may have no identifiable cause.
Symptoms of Vestibular Disorders May Include:
- Dizziness/vertigo, or a sensation of whirling, spinning or floating when you are actually standing or sitting still
- Lightheadedness accompanied by the feeling you might faint
- Poor balance control or lack of coordination that makes you prone to stumbling and falling
- Oscillopsia (severe visual blurring when you move your head side to side)
- Headaches, nausea and vomiting
Vestibular Disorder Treatment
Treatment may consist of exercise for postural awareness, balance training and oculomotor training. Wright PT specializes in the management of the following vestibular disorders:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
- Cervicogenic vertigo
- Meniere’s disease
- Perilymph fistula
- Gait/balance dysfunction
- Symptoms due to neurologic disorders
What are Vestibular, or inner ear and balance, disorders?
There are many types of vestibular disorders from tumors, to age-related dizziness, to autoimmune disease, vertigo, CANVAS syndrome, and so much more. It’s a broad description of a variety of inner ear disorders.
What causes vestibular disorders?
Sometimes inner ear injuries can be caused by accidents, disease, or just age.
How do you treat vestibular disorders?
Depending on the cause of your inner ear, your treatment, your treatment might change. We might work with manual therapy or BPPV. It depends on the cause and types of vestibular disorder you have.
Why is Wright the correct choice of therapist for me?
Wright believes in diagnosis before treatment. We are your trusted source for physical therapy in Idaho.