What causes Vestibular Disorders?
Vestibular disorders may be caused by dysfunction and/or damage to the inner ear, accidents resulting in neck involvement, age related changes or brain disorders. Some types may have no identifiable cause.
Symptoms of Vestibular Disorders May Include:
- Dizziness/vertigo, or a sensation of whirling, spinning or floating when you are actually standing or sitting still
- Lightheadedness accompanied by the feeling you might faint
- Poor balance control or lack of coordination that makes you prone to stumbling and falling
- Oscillopsia (severe visual blurring when you move your head side to side)
- Headaches, nausea and vomiting
Vestibular Disorder Treatment
Treatment may consist of exercise for postural awareness, balance training and oculomotor training. Wright PT specializes in the management of the following vestibular disorders:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo
- Cervicogenic vertigo
- Meniere’s disease
- Perilymph fistula
- Gait/balance dysfunction
- Symptoms due to neurologic disorders